#1067 ✓closed
Dave Howell

Non-persistent preferences for MySQL database

Reported by Dave Howell | March 18th, 2010 @ 04:39 PM

I vastly prefer Postgres personally, so I don't have a lot of experience with MySQL. I'd read somebody's comment about problems if the database name was anything other than "jbidwatcher" so I found instructions on the web for setting up a database, and created a database named "jbidwatcher" with all rights assigned to user "jbidwatcher". On the Linux server on my LAN that is already running MySQL.

Then I launched JBidWatcher ...pre5, and filled in the database fields. "You'll need to restart JBidWatcher for these to take effect."

OK, I restart. I check the preferences, and it's reverted back to using Derby.

I change them again, get the warning requester again, and restart. Seems to be working. I drag a few auctions to the window, but nothing happens (in retrospect, this is probably because of a different bug. See "listings are invisible"). I create a search, but still see nothing. Querying the MySQL database shows that the auctions are indeed now in the 'auctions' table. I check the preferences, and it has the right server, but the username is "root" and the password is blank. I change the username back to 'jbidwatcher' and the correct password.

I quit and restart. JBidWatcher gets to "loading auctions" and stops. Checking the error log, I find that it cannot access the database. Digging through the JBidWatch.cfg file, I find that the config file has the correct user name, but it is now attempting to access MySQL on 'localhost.'

I quit out of JBidWatcher, edit the config file, and restart. It says "loading auctions" and the blue progress bar fills up. Since I still can't see anything because of the invisible listings, I decide to try pre4 instead.

I quit, and launch pre4. It seems to be working just fine.

Comments and changes to this ticket

  • Dave Howell

    Dave Howell March 18th, 2010 @ 06:45 PM

    I noticed the posting about the pre5-uitest version, so I downloaded that, stopped pre4, and launched pre5. It failed to load the auctions. Checking JBidwatch.cfg, I've extracted the following possibly relevant settings:

    db.framework=remote
    db.pass=
    db.mysql.port=3306
    db.mysql.database=jbidwatcher
    db.mysql.host=localhost
    db.user=root
    db.protocol=jdbc\:mysql\://localhost\:3306/
    prompt.db_change_restart=false

    Changing db.protocol, db.mysql.host, db.pass, and db.user back to the correct settings resulted in JBidWatcher launching correctly.

  • Dave Howell

    Dave Howell March 18th, 2010 @ 07:30 PM

    More information: I have quit/relaunched JBidWatcher 2.1pre5-4-g675eae1 a couple of times, and it has retained the correct MySQL db settings in the .cfg file. However, if/when I open Preferences from within JBidWatcher, the "database" tab's fields are populated incorrectly, defaulting back to "localhost", "root", and "".

  • Morgan Schweers

    Morgan Schweers March 8th, 2017 @ 04:15 PM

    • State changed from “new” to “closed”
    • Tag changed from mysql, preferences to mysql, old, preferences
  • Sophia Alice

    Sophia Alice January 29th, 2021 @ 10:11 PM

    Thanks for sharing such a great information I must appreciate the way you have done this.
    If you wish to know about Assignment help then kindly head to:Assignment help

  • Jessica Jones

    Jessica Jones February 10th, 2021 @ 04:20 AM

    Get assignment help Australia services from Australian Assignment Help experts and Assignment Help Singapore services from Student Life Saviour experts.

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile ยป

Shared Ticket Bins

People watching this ticket

Attachments

Pages